Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
We’re Tovala, a food-tech company reinventing home cooking to save consumers time. Through an innovative combination of hardware, software, and fresh food delivery, we make it incredibly simple for anyone to prepare and enjoy delicious, home-cooked meals without sacrificing time to do whatever matters to them. Through our superior technology, product experience and food quality, we have separated Tovala from the busy pack of other meal delivery businesses. In the process, we’ve amassed a loyal, rapidly growing following and our retention, product engagement and customer NPS are all best-in-class. We’ve raised over $100mm from great investors like Left Lane Capital, Origin Ventures, Y Combinator and Comcast Ventures and have invested strongly in building a unique culture that fosters growth, personal development and camaraderie.
We are seeking a business savvy lawyer to join our team and oversee all company legal matters. This role will report to the CFO and manage outside counsel as needed. Chicago or Salt Lake City preferred.
How you will spend your time at Tovala
- Review and negotiate legal points of contracts with vendors and new business partners
- Review public-facing content to ensure it’s accurate and does not invite unnecessary risk
- Prepare and file government reports
- Guide managers on regulatory and compliance matters
- Address ad hoc legal questions from team
- Manage outside counsel as needed
- Love problem solving, skilled at articulating tradeoffs of risk and reward
- Seek autonomy and thrive in ambiguous environments
- Experience in commercial contract negotiations
- Knowledge of applicable legal and regulatory requirements relating to contracts, product liability, marketing, technology, employment matters, privacy and security
- Juris Doctorate and license to practice law in the state where you will work
- 5+ years commercial legal experience at a law firm or in-house
- Love of food required, experience working in food or e-commerce preferred
- Preference for candidates in Chicago or Salt Lake City
The values we hold dear
Put the team first
We put what is best for the broader team ahead of what is best for ourselves or our immediate department.
Get s#!t done (well)
We celebrate people at all levels for delivering high impact work that expands the bounds of what we’re able to do.
Connect the dots
We engage with curiosity to learn how our work impacts others so that we can problem-solve holistically and work collaboratively.
We share our perspective openly and directly, even when it feels difficult to do so.
Embrace the obstacles
We rise to meet challenges with a sense of urgency, resolve, and optimism.
Champion the customer
We consider and prioritize our customer in all of our decisions
At Tovala we‘re committed to building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here!