Ilir Sela started Slice with the belief that local pizzerias deserve all of the advantages of major franchises without compromising their independence. Starting with his family’s pizzerias, we now empower over tens of thousands of restaurants with the technology, services, and collective power that owners need to better serve their digitally minded customers and build lasting businesses. We’re growing and adding more talent to help fulfill this valuable mission. That’s where you come in.
The SVP Legal will head the legal function at Slice, creating the function from scratch working closely with external counsel and internal stakeholders. Slice has a diverse business that provides software and services to independent restaurants, operates a consumer app and accepts payments on behalf of our merchants. The SVP Legal will provide invaluable expertise, execution and judgement across all of these areas which will require knowledge of payments, local regulatory matters, IP / patent strategy, litigation, privacy matters, etc. We expect the SVP Legal will also help guide the company in growth initiatives including potential international expansion, fund-raise, M&A, and IPO preparation. This is a senior role that will report to Slice's CFO and have broad exposure to the C-suite and the Board.
What you'll do:
- Manage day-to-day activities of corporate governance, marketing regulatory compliance, contracts, employment matters, information security and other relevant legal business issues.
- Set the overall strategy, scope and manage all legal matters for the company in alignment with our mission, values, and business objectives.
- Support the CFO and Finance team on legal aspects in fundraising efforts or any other corporate development initiatives.
- Draft board materials, consents, minutes, and associated processes and policies as it relates to all things legal.
- Support the executive team on opportunities or business issues across Operations, Product, Finance, People Ops, Sales, Engineering, and Marketing. Identify and assess legal risk opportunities and advise accordingly.
- Offer guidance and serve as the escalation point for a wide variety of legal matters, including contract law, state/federal compliance issues, data/privacy and SEC regulations, intellectual property, and other HR, employment, or corporate matters.
- Represent the company directly and manage outside legal counsel in regulatory enforcement or litigation matters when needed. Liaise with outside counsel to improve efficient communications and maximize value in the future.
- Draft, negotiate, and examine agreements, such as strategic partnership opportunities, vendor contracts, and supplier agreements.
- Counsel on employee matters including employee agreements, consulting agreements, employee benefits, stock options, executive compensation and other employment issues.
- Manage trademark portfolio and defense of trademarks, patent portfolio management and licensing.
- Build a world class legal function that will sit at the center of our organization and bring both a strategic and operational approach to supporting our growth.
- Develop a roadmap to grow the team and scale our systems and processes, while allowing the business to continue operating at full speed.
- Review of all marketing messaging including ad copies, surveys and terms and conditions.
- Maintain corporate records and all other aspects of corporate compliance; serve as lead for supervising legal regulatory matters.
What we're looking for:
- 12+ years experience overseeing legal teams.
- Experience building a strategy across regulatory, risk, and compliance functions at a high-growth technology company.
- Familiarity with international law in regards to global business expansion and or practices.
- Track record of hiring and scaling top-tier legal teams within a culture of high performance and accountability.
- Compelling executive presence, strong communication and relationship building skills; engaging leader who inspires others and has a high EQ.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects with limited supervision in a fast-paced tech environment.
- Self-starter and problem-solver who enjoys working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment and is able to work independently until further teams are put into place.
- Experience at a publicly traded company is a plus.
Salary Range: $250,000 to $315,000 annually + bonus & equity.
The above represents the expected salary range for this job requisition. Ultimately, in determining your pay, we'll consider your location, experience, and other job-related factors.
Pizza brings people together. Slice is no different. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and embrace a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. We are also proud members of the Diversity Mark NI initiative as a Bronze Member.
Something looks off?