Staff Front-End Engineer, Consumer Engineering
Ilir Sela started Slice with the belief that local pizzerias deserve all of the advantages of major franchises without compromising their independence. Starting with his family’s pizzerias, we now empower over tens of thousands of restaurants with the technology, services, and collective power that owners need to better serve their digitally minded customers and build lasting businesses. We’re growing and adding more talent to help fulfil this valuable mission. That’s where you come in.
The Challenge to Solve
To deliver challenging new features and support a growing team of engineers through decisions on architecture, infrastructure, performance and web engineering excellence.
To continue scaling our Front-End teams we’re searching for a true expert in the art of Front-End engineering. You will take ownership of technical challenges and utilise your expertise to guide important technical decisions across the team. You’ll be challenged with consistent hands-on contributions both autonomously and as a group. Overall, you will be considered a technical champion for the team by advocating best practices, improving observability, designing APIs and acting as an expert to dive deep on complicated technical, yet subtle issues, that may arise. Your experience will be valuable in partnering with the Engineering Manager, allowing them to focus on wider team and strategic initiatives, while you pilot technical responsibilities.
The Consumer Web team has twelve colleagues split into multiple squads and consisting of world class engineers from across the globe. We work on products used by hundreds of thousands of customers and we ship changes live to production every day. There are no direct reports for this position but you’ll be comfortable sharing knowledge and setting examples to the wider team.
The Winning Recipe
We’re looking for creative, entrepreneurial engineers who are excited to build world-class products for small business counters. These are the core competencies this role calls for:
- 5+ years experience building applications with React
- 5+ years experience with TypeScript - you view TS as an invaluable tool and are an expert in its use
- Excellent investigative debugging skills and a proven ability to troubleshoot complicated and subtle problems in high availability production environments
- Proven experience delivering web experiences that meet standards for accessibility, performance, and SEO
- You are a Front-End specialist but you understand aspects of the full tech stack and can contribute meaningfully to API design and overall system architecture
Working at Slice comes with a comprehensive set of benefits, but here are some of the unexpected highlights:
- Access to medical, dental, and vision plans
- Flexible working hours
- Generous time off policies
- £200 per annum employee wellbeing allowance
- Market leading maternity and paternity schemes
- Discounts for local pizzerias (of course)
The Hiring Process
Here’s what we expect the hiring process for this role to be, should all go well with your candidacy. This entire process is expected to take 1-3 weeks to complete and you’d be expected to start on a specific date.
- 30 minute introductory meeting
- 30 minute hiring manager meeting
- Pairing Interview & Technical Interview
- CTO meeting
Pizza brings people together. Slice is no different. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and embrace a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. We are also proud members of the Diversity Mark NI initiative as a Bronze Member.
Something looks off?