Software Engineer, Consumer Engineering
Ilir Sela started Slice with the belief that local pizzerias deserve all of the advantages of major franchises without compromising their independence. Starting with his family’s pizzerias, we now empower over tens of thousands of restaurants with the technology, services, and collective power that owners need to better serve their digitally minded customers and build lasting businesses. We’re growing and adding more talent to help fulfil this valuable mission. That’s where you come in.
The Challenge to Solve
To enable us to provide flexible, backend-driven, user-focused experiences via our Consumer web and app products.
You will contribute value as a backend software engineer, as part of an agile, cross functional team. You’ll work closely with your colleagues to help the team provide best in class user experiences to independent-pizza-buying consumers via our web, iOS and Android apps, powered by the backend services you will create & nurture!
You will develop and evolve a wide range of microservices to dynamically power smart, data driven user experiences. This will help Slice ensure it is engaging our shop partners’ consumers as effectively as possible, delighting them and driving order growth for the independent pizzerias we love and help to keep thriving daily!.
You’ll be using, learning and mastering your skills in a range of tech, including:
- languages such as Golang, Python, & Ruby On Rails
- cloud infrastructure including AWS & Google Cloud Platform
- document and relational databases such as DynamoDB, MySQL, MongoDB
- messaging using Kafka, RabbitMQ
As well as using cutting edge technologies, you’ll also thrive in a truly fast paced environment, supported by a great set of colleagues as you do so. You’ll get to not just cut code, you will also have a say in how we can best serve user needs, and your ideas will always be welcomed.
The product engineering squads are moving towards a truly cross functional operating model (that’s why we need you!), comprising a blend of both frontend and backend engineers, QA engineers, Product ownership and UX/Design specialists.
Our teams are a blend of co-located and remote Slicers, in locations including the US, South America, Northern Ireland and eastern Europe.
Our culture is massively important and making Slice the best job ever is our number one priority! People are truly at the centre of all we do. At Slice you will solve problems big and small. You’ll be collaborating with a diverse, supportive, fun and engaging team of talented people.
The Winning Recipe
We’re looking for creative, entrepreneurial engineers who are excited to build world-class products for small business counters. These are the core competencies this role calls for:
- 3+ years of experience working in consumer facing software development orgs
- Minimum of 1.5 years experience using at least two of: Golang, Python, Ruby. We’ll also consider other OO languages
- A Product Engineering mindset or better still, experience working in Product Engineering organisation as part of an agile cross functional team
- Experience working with one or more of AWS, GCP, Azure cloud environments
- Familiarity with microservice architectures, “backends-for-frontends”, that have powered consumer facing apps (these could be iOS, Android, React Native, Web based)
- A can-do, self starting attitude, you’ll embrace change and help others do the same through positive actions
Working at Slice comes with a comprehensive set of benefits, but here are some of the unexpected highlights:
- Access to medical, dental, and vision plans
- Flexible working hours
- Generous time off policies
- £200 per annum employee wellbeing allowance
- Market leading maternity and paternity schemes
- Discounts for local pizzerias (of course)
The Hiring Process
Here’s what we expect the hiring process for this role to be, should all go well with your candidacy. This entire process is expected to take 1-3 weeks to complete and you’d be expected to start on a specific date.
- 30 minute introductory meeting
- 45 minute hiring manager meeting with our Consumer Engineering Director and one of our Product Managers
- Pairing Interview & Technical Interview with your future engineering peers
- CTO meeting
Pizza brings people together. Slice is no different. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and embrace a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. We are also proud members of the Diversity Mark NI initiative as a Bronze Member.