Lead Software Engineer, Consumer Engineering
Lead Software Engineer, Consumer Engineering (Backend)
Belfast or UK Remote
Ilir Sela started Slice with the belief that local pizzerias deserve all of the advantages of major franchises without compromising their independence. Starting with his family’s pizzerias, we now empower over tens of thousands of restaurants with the technology, services, and collective power that owners need to better serve their digitally minded customers and build lasting businesses. We’re growing and adding more talent to help fulfil this valuable mission. That’s where you come in.
The Challenge to Solve
You’ll lead a squad of backend engineers skilled in Python and Golang, responsible for several microservices (new and existing). These microservices provide capabilities to our consumer facing applications (web, iOS, Android) and leverage our extensive Data capabilities to create tailored, impactful solutions for our shop partners and consumers.
You’ll have responsibility for the technical leadership, and performance management, of your squad as together you deliver best in class solutions on time and with exceptional quality. You’ll be involved in delivering the tech used across multiple domains in our business, including B2B2C Customer Relationship Management, product catalogue (Menu) management, among others. You’ll be challenged but also supported, as you set goals for your squad and support their success. You’ll help drive the design and development of our platform services, partake in code reviews and drive continuous improvements for your team.
The engineers you’ll work with are all inquisitive, driven, and highly skilled in their fields. They embrace tough problems and love solving them in an empowered, supported environment. Skilled in Python & Go, they have built, evolved and maintained a range of services at the heart of the Slice platform. The team is distributed across the UK, and parts of eastern Europe, while embracing and contributing to our positive, fun and engaging culture at Slice!
The Winning Recipe
We’re looking for creative, entrepreneurial engineers who are excited to build world-class products for small business counters. These are the core competencies this role calls for:
- 6+ years of experience working in a Product Engineering role
- Minimum of 2 years experience leading 4 or more senior engineers
- Strong in at least one of Python, Golang, preferably both
- Passionate about engineering excellence - you will push for better, always
- Passion for learning and coaching others.
- A positive can-do mindset, you deliver with positive impact, treating others well.
- Able to clearly express opinions on product design, while respecting the thoughts and opinions of their peers.
- Proven ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with product engineers and non-engineering stakeholders alike.
Working at Slice comes with a comprehensive set of benefits, but here are some of the unexpected highlights:
- Access to medical, dental, and vision plans
- Flexible working hours
- Generous time off policies
- £200 per annum employee wellbeing allowance
- Market leading maternity and paternity schemes
- Discounts for local pizzerias (of course)
The Hiring Process
Here’s what we expect the hiring process for this role to be, should all go well with your candidacy. This entire process is expected to take 1-3 weeks to complete and you’d be expected to start on a specific date.
- 30 minute introductory meeting
- 60 minute meeting with our backend Engineering Manager & our Director of Engineering
- Pairing Interview & Technical Interview
Pizza brings people together. Slice is no different. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and embrace a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. We are also proud members of the Diversity Mark NI initiative as a Bronze Member.