Spindrift is one of the fastest-growing brands in beverage. Headquartered just outside of Boston, the Spindrift team is obsessed with creating the best tasting and highest quality sparkling waters. We love the challenge of taking real ingredients and making a product that stands out in a crowd. In our day-to-day, our values guide us: trust, respect, innovation, ambition, collaboration and agility.
About the Role
The Associate Counsel will be the second in-house hire for Spindrift. While technically reporting to the General Counsel, the Associate Counsel will actually be partnering with the General Counsel in designing the legal team and the legal experience for this 180-person high-growth company that is elevating the craft of beverages with carefully created and inspired products.If you have the energy to think strategically and execute on a tactical level on multiple fronts every day, are curious and comfortable asking questions in order to figure things out, can admit mistakes and quickly learn from them, and are willing to embrace some pulp with the light and bright, keep reading!
The Associate Counsel will join the General Counsel in taking on the following responsibilities (in addition to leading key initiatives for the business from time to time):
- Counseling: providing advice on matters typically arising for a consumer goods business, such as impact and sustainability, supply-chain, product development and labeling, safety and quality, advertising, intellectual property, market expansion, data privacy, litigation, corporate finance, and general risk management matters
- Business Transactions: reviewing and negotiating commercial agreements, such as manufacturing, logistics, distribution, sales, broker, brand agency and other marketing services agreements, sponsorship agreements, technology services agreements, and general consulting and professional services agreements
- Compliance and Corporate Governance: partnering with the People team to keep our workplace a healthy one, preparing board meeting resolutions, minutes and written consents, maintaining applicable beverage alcohol licenses and registrations, ensuring that Spindrift’s activities follow beverage alcohol regulations, overseeing ESG reporting, and providing guidance on best practices generally
- Education: staying current with the latest developments affecting the business, and elevating knowledge and awareness across the organization by developing and delivering content on various topics relating to the business (e.g., trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets, and consumer privacy) in a creative, consumable and engaging format
- take a broad view when approaching legal issues, considering not only the company’s strategic imperatives but also its greater purpose and values;
- are comfortable making sense of high quantity and sometimes contradictory information in order to solve problems;
- enjoy building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to achieve shared objectives;
- recognize the value in equipping and empowering teams to make optimal decisions as opposed to making decisions for them;
- have experience identifying opportunities for increased efficiency and executing plans to improve existing systems;
- have practiced in-house and/or at a law firm for at least 8-10 years and have worked in a few of the areas mentioned in the role description, especially in the consumer goods space;
- are licensed to practice law and are in good standing in at least one U.S. state; and
- are able and willing to work at our office in Newton, MA at least 4 days a week and travel for business trips as needed,
then we hope you will consider joining Spindrift and apply for this role! (Experience advising companies in the food and beverage and/or beverage alcohol space is a plus but not required.)
In addition to the salary range for this position ($200,000 - $230,000), Spindrift offers the following compensation and benefits:
- short-term and long-term incentive programs specific to level and department
- medical, dental, and vision insurance, with a current employer contribution rate of 80% towards monthly premiums, regardless of plan type selected
- Company-paid life insurance, and a 401k retirement savings plan
- Monthly cell phone allowance
- Annual allowances for personal use of Spindrift product, health and wellness, professional development, and social justice education
- A host of voluntary benefits including but not limited to additional life insurance, short-term disability and long-term disability insurance, pet insurance, commuter benefits, etc.
- In addition to any paid leave benefits required by regulation, the company provides paid parental leave, vacation, sick, personal, bereavement, community service, and holiday time
Something looks off?