R&D Manager, Chemistry & Formulations
Remote · United States
Posted on Saturday, October 7, 2023
We are Thrasio - Builders Welcome!
At Thrasio, we’re reimagining how to make the world’s most-loved products accessible to everyone. We work with successful sellers, using a deep understanding of rankings, ratings, and reviews – plus supply chain and marketing smarts – to transform the art and science of commerce. We estimate that 1 in 6 households has purchased a Thrasio product! And our goal is for all of those households to be truly delighted by their purchase.
What Makes Us Unique
At Thrasio, we’re in building mode: block by block we’re working together to construct a great company. What does that look like? Everyone is a leader - we lean into opportunities, not titles. We expect everyone to behave and act like a leader. Our Leadership Principles inform the ways we work together to ensure the brands, products and services we offer truly delight our customers. Everyone is a builder - whether it’s gaining marketable new skills through project sprints outside of your own function, or standing up more efficient ways of work - we’re doing it from the ground up. Everyone belongs- a sense of belonging brings us all together. We operate as One Team.
As a R&D Manager specializing in chemicals, you will lead the charge of development for formulated items, ranging from cleaning liquids to personal care products (think shampoo and conditioners), pest abatement, and more, right here in the US. This is a highly cross functional role where you’ll be working with Brand & Marketing, Manufacturing & Quality, and our Legal teams. The primary focus will be on collaborating closely with contract manufacturers and suppliers to ensure the producibility and efficacy of groundbreaking new products.
Working alongside a team of dedicated product developers and other skilled engineers, your responsibilities will include shaping product specifications, formulating critical features, and ensuring the functionality and robustness of our product offerings. You won't stop there; you'll be the driving force behind recommending improvements and novel product concepts, actively contributing to our product pipeline. Your work also extends to collaborating with product designers, guaranteeing that functionality and producibility are at the forefront of our innovations. You’ll likely assist with some reformulation of existing product lines and the migration of manufacturing lines. Ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements and supporting marketing claims with facts is a critical part of the job.
- Shaping product specifications
- Formulating critical features
- Ensuring the functionality and robustness of our product offerings
- Recommending improvements and novel product concepts
- Actively contributing to our product pipeline
- Collaborating with product designers, guaranteeing that functionality and producibility are at the forefront of our innovations
What You Bring to the Party:
- Experience: You bring a minimum of 5 years of hands-on product development experience, ideally within industries like cleaning products, pest control, personal care, nutritional supplements, or automotive liquids. Your exposure to working with third-party developers and factories is highly regarded.
- Education: You hold a collegiate degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or an equivalent qualification, providing you with the foundational knowledge necessary for this role.
- Tech Savvy: Proficiency in common software tools such as Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Adobe, and project management tools among others is essential. Your ability to navigate these tools will be pivotal in reviewing and communicating product specifications.
- Full Product Lifecycle: You've engaged in all phases of product development, from initial design to the culmination of final production. Your holistic approach to product development sets you apart.
- Quality Focus: Your familiarity with quality processes, product testing methods, and common factory requirements is highly desirable. Quality assurance is part of your DNA. Familiar with GLP, cGMP, and QA/QC personal care industry and cleaning products best practices.
- Product Testing: Experience in determining the necessary product testing, analyzing results, and making any necessary adjustments. Product integrity and regulatory compliance are critical to a product's success.
- Claims substantiation: The ability to backup marketing claims with science, and to help wordsmith alternative language which can be substantiated when necessary. We’re customer first, and believe in under promising while over delivering.
- Must possess an entrepreneurial spirit and be willing to pivot as needed when priorities change.
- Exceptional aptitude towards understanding consumer insights and applying them on the development of new products and the solution of ongoing quality problems
- Self-starter with proven ability to effectively lead all technical aspects of projects from concept to launch, execute tasks within defined program timelines, and work independently with limited oversight.
- Experience with leading multiple projects in parallel and problem-solving through challenges. Excellent organization, planning, and multi-tasking skills.
- Familiar with function and technical challenges of various packaging delivery systems; pump sprays, tubes, squeeze bottles, aerosols, air-less packs, and lotion pumps.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively on cross-functional teams. Strong interpersonal, written/verbal, and presentation skills.
What We Offer:
- The chance to be part of a next-gen consumer goods company that is changing the industry
- A collaborative work environment where cross-functional teams work together to solve problems and achieve common goals
- The opportunity to build together with a talented, diverse and passionate team, and the innovative technology to enable us
- A hybrid work environment that allows employees to manage their schedules effectively, meet in a hub when necessary, and maintain a healthy balance
- Competitive salary and benefits package, tremendous on the job learning opportunities, and our Thrasher Perks program with the opportunity to purchase products at cost
The freedom to "be bold", have a voice within the company and take on opportunities with less red tape
Thrasio values diversity, equity, and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We welcome individuals from all backgrounds and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status and any other category protected by applicable law. We strive to create an environment where everyone can thrive. We encourage applicants who meet the minimum criteria to apply, as we believe in the power of diverse perspectives and challenging assumptions.
We believe that all employees should be paid fairly and equitably. As of the time of this posting, the expected base annual salary range for this position is $130,000-130,000. (For non-exempt roles, this reflects the expected base annual “salary” as calculated by the base hourly wage multiplied by the expected number of hours worked over a one year period, excluding any overtime and premiums.) The actual base annual salary will be based on a wide range of factors, including your skills, qualifications, and experience, as well as business needs and limitations. As a result, compensation may vary within and across similar roles and positions. Please note that the base annual salary range information set forth above is a good faith estimate for this position and actual compensation for any individual may fall outside this range if warranted by the circumstances applicable to that individual. If we identify a role that would be suitable for a broader range of skills and experience such that we would consider hiring at multiple levels then the range listed above may reflect that breadth. If offered a position, the actual base annual salary will be contained in your offer letter.
In addition to the base annual salary listed above, this position is eligible for short-term [and long-term] incentive compensation, as well as benefits, which are subject to the applicable plans, policies and definitive documentation regarding such compensation and benefits.