Senior Data Scientist
Posted on Thursday, January 4, 2024
Wild Thinkers Welcome
Thrasio is a next-generation consumer goods company reimagining how the world’s most-loved products become accessible to everyone. We acquire quality brands and use world-class expertise and data science to make existing products better or create new ones to meet customer needs.
We’ve got huge goals, and every Thrasher plays an integral part in getting us there. That’s why we only bring on people who think positively. Who look out for the team. Who tell their egos to take a hike while they get the job done right.
From the moment you become a Thrasher, we give you the freedom you need to take big swings and push what’s possible to get us there. And if you fail, it’s cool—we know you’ll grow spectacularly. What matters is that you’re helping impact millions of people around the world who use our products everyday.
Because with every new spatula or pillow brand we grow, with every kitchen scale we develop, our goal is to provide people everywhere with what they need to make the most of every moment - ensuring that what gets delivered to their door delivers.
As a Senior Data Scientist on the Operations Research team, you will drive Supply Optimization systems at the center of inventory management, forecasting, pricing, and marketing decision-making across Thrasio’s extensive portfolio of omnichannel products. Partnering closely with experts in causal inference, pricing, optimization, and machine learning, you’ll drive world class automated decision making through purchasing, positioning and transportation optimization, a fundamental part of Thrasio’s long term success and continued market leadership.
- Developing discrete event simulations to quantify uncertainty in terms relevant to the business, as well as power strategic decision making through scenario analysis
- Leveraging linear programming/mixed integer programming, Markov decision processes, metaheuristics, and other forms of stochastic optimization to develop inventory policies in the presence of uncertainty
- Partnering closely with the pricing, promotions, and marketing science teams and integrating the causal impact of their business levers into a joint optimization framework alongside inventory management
- Collaborating with cross-functional partners such as engineering, product management, and brand managers to build interfaces to your models, allowing for informed, tracked input where business context is missing
- Owning personal development cycles, managing risk, and bringing stakeholders along for the ride
- Delivering and supporting production code driving business critical decision making systems
What You Bring to the Party:
- Masters or Ph.D. in a quantitative subject (i.e. computer science, economics, operations research, statistics, etc.) or a related field such as Industrial Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, etc.
- 3+ years (Masters) or 1+ years (Ph.D.) of practical experience working in data science teams (ideally in e-commerce or supply chain settings)
- Experience delivering robust and maintainable production codebases autonomously delivering data science models to downstream systems
- Expertise in mixed integer programming and simulation modeling leveraging one or more of Gurobi, CPLEX, AMPL, PuLP, or similar tools
- Proficiency in Python or R, SQL, Git
- Passion for driving outsized business impact through applied science, humility, and collaboration
- Familiarity with modern machine learning and predictive modeling techniques (e.g. Linear Regression, XGBoost, LightGBM, Pytorch, etc.)
- Experience in forecasting, pricing, causal inference (to ease collaboration with partner teams)
- Familiarity with Databricks, Snowflake, Spark (or other forms of distributed computing)
What We Offer:
- The chance to be part of a next-gen consumer goods company that is changing the industry
- A collaborative work environment where cross-functional teams work together to solve problems and achieve common goals
- The opportunity to build together with a talented, diverse and passionate team, and the innovative technology to enable us
- We promote a "none punch in or out" work environment that allows employees to manage their schedules effectively, and maintain a healthy balance
- Competitive salary and benefits package, tremendous on the job learning opportunities.
The freedom to "be bold", have a voice within the company and take on opportunities with less red tape
Thrasio values diversity, equity, and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We welcome individuals from all backgrounds and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status and any other category protected by applicable law. We strive to create an environment where everyone can thrive. We encourage applicants who meet the minimum criteria to apply, as we believe in the power of diverse perspectives and challenging assumptions.
At Thrasio, we are committed to building a great company - a place I want to work at, a place I can build, a place I can belong. Our goal is to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment that fuels success and growth in the workplace and beyond. We are also committed to recruiting and hiring a diverse team at all levels through fair and unbiased recruitment and hiring practices. Providing diversity-related demographic information during the application process helps us measure our progress towards these goals.