Sr. Director, Brand
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2023
We’re Tovala, a food-tech company reinventing home cooking to save consumers time. Through an innovative combination of hardware, software, and fresh food delivery, we make it incredibly simple for anyone to prepare and enjoy delicious, home-cooked meals without sacrificing time to do whatever matters to them. Through our superior technology, product experience and food quality, we have separated Tovala from the busy pack of other meal delivery businesses. In the process, we’ve amassed a loyal, rapidly growing following and our retention, product engagement and customer NPS are all best-in-class. We’ve raised over $100mm from great investors like Left Lane Capital, Origin Ventures, Y Combinator and Comcast Ventures and have invested strongly in building a unique culture that fosters growth, personal development and camaraderie.
We are seeking a dynamic brand marketing leader to leverage our best-in-class foundational elements, highly differentiated product and passionate customer base to build a world class brand that deeply resonates with a broader audience. Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, you will be responsible for developing brand and product positioning strategies, as well as integrated marketing campaigns that will drive consumer demand and profitable sales growth. In this role, you will lead a small but mighty in-house team of marcom, social media and product marketing experts, as well as agency partners to deliver on our brand strategy. You and your team will partner closely with others across our Growth, Product, Insights and Data, Operations, and Customer Support teams to bring our brand to life through compelling brand storytelling, content and creative expression of our brand strategy.
How you’ll spend your time at Tovala
- Lead our brand marketing initiatives including but not limited to, advertising, content development, brand partnerships, and positioning work to grow our brand awareness and build brand equity
- Serve as our internal brand steward and champion, ensuring that we deliver on our brand promise across all consumer touchpoints
- Understand our product and our customer segments inside and out and drive excitement and engagement through storytelling across a variety of channels
- Partner closely with Insights and Analytics to understand key audience segments and their needs; work closely with the Growth team to ensure we are targeting the right audiences with the right creative and messaging across acquisition channels
- Work closely with our Product and Engineering teams to understand new products and features in order to effectively drive strong customer engagement and new product adoption
- Identify and execute scrappy, innovative, ”out-of-the-box” brand building campaigns
- Monitor industry, category, marketing, and consumer trends as well as competitor actions to proactively identify and recommend new brand building opportunities
- Own and hone our brand book, partnering with our Creative Director and ensuring the organization has the brand tools and guidelines it needs to communicate effectively and consistently with prospects and customers
- You are a strategic thinker, who leverages a diverse set of inputs to develop objectives, strategies, and initiatives to drive short- and long-term growth
- You are creative and scrappy, with demonstrated experience making big impact without big brand budgets
- You are an effective and inspiring communicator, who proactively works to connect and build trust above, below and cross-functionally
- You thrive in a fast paced, results-oriented environment and aren’t afraid to challenge the status quo
- You enjoy leading and collaborating with diverse, cross-functional teams and are skilled at connecting the dots and driving high impact projects
- You think big but are also able to roll up your sleeves and execute
- You have a passion for food and technology that makes life easier
- 12+ years in brand marketing roles, including 7+ in brand leadership role(s)
- Previous in-house consumer ecommerce experience required; Food and/or subscription business experience a plus
- Previous experience launching new-to-market products and features
- Experience working very collaboratively and cross-functionally—especially with creative, performance/growth marketing and product teams
- Data-driven and analytical mindset, with experience using data to make creative decisions and determine effectiveness
Compensation & Benefits
- Tovala uses market data, geography, and placement of internal employees to determine appropriate salary. Additionally, we offer all employees real ownership in the company in the form of a competitive equity package.
- Unlimited paid time off (with a minimum of 15 days off you HAVE to take)
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage we really invest in
- 401k with match
- Free Tovala Smart Oven and discounted Tovala meals
- Paid holidays and our winter holiday office shutdown where the offices and facilities close for a week around Christmas and New Years
- Various other perks - recognition programs, continued learning stipend, casual dress code, in-office coffee, snacks and drinks, and Tovala swag
The values we hold dear
Put the team first
We put what is best for the broader team ahead of what is best for ourselves or our immediate department.
Get s#!t done (well)
We celebrate people at all levels for delivering high impact work that expands the bounds of what we’re able to do.
Connect the dots
We engage with curiosity to learn how our work impacts others so that we can problem-solve holistically and work collaboratively.
We share our perspective openly and directly, even when it feels difficult to do so.
Embrace the obstacles
We rise to meet challenges with a sense of urgency, resolve, and optimism.
Champion the customer
We consider and prioritize our customer in all of our decisions
At Tovala we‘re committed to building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here!