Web Senior Software Engineer
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
We’re Tovala, a food-tech company reinventing home cooking to save consumers time. Through an innovative combination of hardware, software, and fresh food delivery, we make it incredibly simple for anyone to prepare and enjoy delicious, home-cooked meals without sacrificing time to do whatever matters to them. Through our superior technology, product experience and food quality, we have separated Tovala from the busy pack of other meal delivery businesses. In the process, we’ve amassed a loyal, rapidly growing following and our retention, product engagement and customer NPS are all best-in-class. We’ve raised over $100mm from great investors like Left Lane Capital, Origin Ventures, Y Combinator and Comcast Ventures and have invested strongly in building a unique culture that fosters growth, personal development and camaraderie.
Tovala is seeking an experienced Web Software Engineer to join our talented team. As a Web Engineer at Tovala, you will contribute to internal tools that help our Customer Service team and our Operations team prepare and ship meals weekly. Our Web Engineers deliver different ways to surprise and delight our customers through our ordering experience.
This role will
- Be a member of our front-end applications team designing and developing our web applications using TypeScript, React, and Tailwind.
- Produce high-quality code grounded in strong software engineering principles.
- Participate in code reviews and drive best practices.
- Write and maintain automated tests at all levels of the solution.
- Partner with our product team to propose, design, estimate, and deliver solutions.
- You work with UX Designers and love prototyping and giving feedback on designs.
- You have hands-on, professional experience building enterprise-level web applications.
- You have deployed and maintained enterprise-level web applications.
- You write unit tests and UI automation tests as part of your development process.
- You can communicate with both technical and non-technical stakeholders effectively.
- You love food, whether that means cooking it, eating it, frequently pressing your nose against deli windows, or lusting after soft-serve on Instagram – all fair game.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience developing web applications.
- 4+ years developing in React and TypeScript.2+ years of experience using Tailwind.
- 2+ years of unit testing using Jest or similar frameworks.
- You have experience monitoring uptime and performance.
- You have deployed at least 1 web application using Vercel or similar providers.You have experience building and managing internal libraries.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Compensation & Benefits
- Tovala uses market data, geography, and placement of internal employees to determine appropriate salary. Additionally, we offer all employees real ownership in the company in the form of a competitive equity package.
- Unlimited paid time off (with a minimum of 15 days off you HAVE to take)
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage we really invest in
- 401k with match
- Free Tovala Smart Oven and discounted Tovala meals
- Paid holidays and our winter holiday office shutdown where the offices and facilities close for a week around Christmas and New Years
- Various other perks - recognition programs, continued learning stipend, casual dress code, in-office coffee, snacks and drinks, and Tovala swag
The values we hold dear
Put the team first
We put what is best for the broader team ahead of what is best for ourselves or our immediate department.
Get s#!t done (well)
We celebrate people at all levels for delivering high impact work that expands the bounds of what we’re able to do.
Connect the dots
We engage with curiosity to learn how our work impacts others so that we can problem-solve holistically and work collaboratively.
We share our perspective openly and directly, even when it feels difficult to do so.
Embrace the obstacles
We rise to meet challenges with a sense of urgency, resolve, and optimism.
Champion the customer
We consider and prioritize our customer in all of our decisions
At Tovala we‘re committed to building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here!