Senior Software Engineer
At Spot, we know that just about everyone thinks insurance has never been cool or exciting. It's boring, complicated, and something we all hope we never use. That’s why we’re turning the insurance industry on its head by building the first lifestyle brand in the insurance world, encouraging our customers to live life to the fullest knowing we've got their back.
Spot is the first insurance company that helps its customers have fun while taking risks, whether learning how to ski, riding a local mountain bike trail, or training to summit Everest. We cover people’s medical bills when shit hits the fan.
We were founded by avid skiers, cyclists, and outdoor enthusiasts, so we understand the risks that come with the territory. When bad things happen, dealing with insurance can make it worse. We believe our community deserves something better.
With over a million customers and growing, we have no intention of slowing down.
We believe in the importance of culture and community and that teams thrive when working in alignment.
Key Values for This Role
- Eye on the big picture
- Lead with humility
- Prove with integrity
- Courage to advance
- Above all, team work
Why This Role Is Important to Us
As a Senior Software Engineer at Spot Insurance, you will design technology solutions that will create high value for our partners and customers. You and the team will work with continual feedback cycles; analyze product usage, end-user behaviors and systems performance information as input into the continual evolution of our products; delivering continuous and incremental value to the end-user. You will own projects end to end, helping execute on our product and technology roadmap.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with Product Management to understand end user challenges and future roadmap
- Develop features and improvements to the Spot product ecosystem in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
- Invest in improvements to product quality, security, performance, and developer experience.
Who You Are
- 5+ years of experience as a full-stack software engineer
- Exceptional problem solver with analysis, decomposition, and communication skills
- Experience with cloud-native back end architecture using AWS
- Professional experience working with Node/JS, React (or similar frameworks), and Postgres (or similar relational database)
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with excellent organizational skills
A Typical Day Looks Like
- Crafting code that meets our internal standards for a high-scale web environment
- Mentoring engineers through our software development process
- Collaborating with Product Management, UI/UX and other stakeholders to define functional and technical requirements
Things You Might Brag About
- I love building simple and elegant technology solutions
- I enjoy breaking down complex topics into manageable pieces
- I am a continual learner and love mentoring others
Like we’ve said before, we believe our community deserves something better! Our view of diversity goes beyond visible differences and includes unique backgrounds, ideas, experiences and perspectives. We are so proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and in no way will we discriminate in our hiring process based on a person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, transgender status, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other legally protected characteristics. We believe strongly that education comes in many forms and in most cases do not require a formal degree for employment at Spot. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
We care deeply about our Spot people who are dedicated to revolutionizing the distribution of insurance, the industry and the world! That’s why we are dedicated to providing benefits with you, your family, and your life in mind. We offer a various array of benefits including a relaxed PTO policy, medical, dental and vision insurance, 401k, paid holidays, bereavement, and parental leave. All Spot employees receive equipment for their remote setup, and a Spot Injury plan in case shit does hit the fan!
Something looks off?